[VIDEO] Pervsona



So, I finally went ahead a finished this random project I started back in late August. I really wanted to do something with Iyapan, since POV perspectives are hard to come by in anime. As for the general inspiration, it pretty much started with throwing music under the feature scene of each episode, the panty reveal. Starting with the odds and ends of video game soundtracks I had saved, A Poem for Everyone's Souls was one of the first pieces of music I combined with the scene, to a pretty amusing result! The opening bars of the piano for the lead-in, and as she lifts her skirt, the main vocal comes in, reaching a dramatic climax. 

Now, just as a one-off video, that probably would've been where I would stop, but as I started riffing on what the title should be, I had thought it would be funny to do this for every episode of Iyapan, using some of my favorite video game soundtracks in the process. The only problem I had with that idea was how visually uninteresting a series of videos like that would be. That's when I said "fuck it, let's try something new!"

I haven't made many videos where I produce a number of graphics for it, so making and animating a game UI seemed like a cool challenge, and naturally with my music selection, I took inspiration for the Persona 3 UI. Due to the nature of the small resolutions of Persona 3's era, one unfortunate thing is how bland the dialogue window tends to be, and putting out a video with a 1:1 remake of the P3 UI would just have a lot of wasted screen space. In my effort to make something more visually interesting is where the idea to treat it more like a visual novel design came from, and combined with the ecchi nature of the clips I'm working with, I finally saw it: Persona as an eroge, where you actually get to [redacted] best girl(s). After that I knew I had to make a fake tarot card, and I think I managed to cook up something pretty neat.


About a month hiatus later after this point though, and before I undertake a new project I hope to share with you all soon, I kicked it into high gear to go ahead and wrap up this video. Can't continue to let these efforts go to waste. 

Made the entire UI with mostly basic shapes in paint.NET, which was admittedly not a great choice since it's hardly scalable and I had to count pixels just to center stuff, but I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. Since I started working on this before the blu-ray of Iyapan was available, I had originally opted to do just the face sprite in the corner because of the quality of the Nico rips not being great (Iyapan is an ONA after all), and I was too lazy to not change it after upgrading my source footage and masking out the sprites.

Recreating the Critical Cut-in from Persona 3 was just a seemingly random mess of effects when I was analyzing it. I think I got fairly close, but the way it's done in the game is really weird in the first place. I'm not losing any sleep over that. Couldn't find the sound effect of the "mysterious voice ringing" when the tarot card appears and like, enters your social link, so didn't bother with that. Because of that I was less concerned with the accuracy of it all from that point so the recreation and parody of the text at that point was painless.

Not much else to say, the P3D bit was just a quick last minute addition since just showing the panties was going to be not a lot of fun. A lot of songs worked well, but Madonna really captured that Persona camp. Settling on "Pervsona" for the title was also last minute, but it inspired a nice little thumbnail, so I'm overall happy with it!


Comments

Post a Comment